About the repository
e-publications@RCSI is an open access institutional repository of research and scholarly output of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland. The service is maintained and managed by RCSI Library. The repository aims include:
- To develop an open-access repository for research staff and students to deposit their academic work so it is freely available on the internet.
- To aid in disseminating RCSI and related research work to a wider audience, thus increasing worldwide exposure to this work.
- To provide a central archive and record of research work both for the College and for an individual researcher.
- To help RCSI researchers fulfill their funding authority's open access mandate – see further details below.
A number of Irish research funding authorities now have open access policies and require submission of published work funded (in whole or part) by them to an open access repository:
- Higher Education Authority (HEA) – see policy
- Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) – see policy
- Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology (IRCSET) – see policy
- Health Research Board (HRB) – see policy
The National Steering Committee on Open Access Policy is a committee of Irish research organisations that is working in partnership to coordinate activities and to combine expertise at a national level to promote unrestricted, online access to outputs which result from research that is wholly or partially funded by the State. The National Principles for Open Access policy statement was launched in October 2012.
To search other Irish university/HE open access repositories, please see:
- The IREL-Open Project website at http://www.irel-open.ie
- RIAN - a portal for institutional repositories of seven Irish universities (DCU, NUIG, NUIM, TCD, UCC, UCD and UL) and DIT.
See further information in the Policies web page.